Select Page

Non EU Citizen wishing to reside in Spain and work remotely for companies outside of Spain. Consider the Spain info Card for making your application with a professional. Includes information about living in Spain.

Nomad Visa FAQS:

1. What is an international teleworker?

A worker authorised to remain in Spain to carry out a remote work or professional activity for companies located outside the national territory, through the exclusive use of computer, telematic and telecommunication means and systems.

2. Who can obtain an authorisation as an international teleworker?

A national of a third state, of legal age. (Does not apply to citizens of the European Union or to those to whom European Union law applies)

3. Can a freelancer be considered an international teleworker?

Yes, as long as he proves a professional relationship through a commercial contract with the foreign company for which he works for a minimum of three months and that company authorises the transfer to Spain.

4. Is registration with Social Security mandatory in Spain?

Yes, when carrying out the work activity from Spain, registration is mandatory, being able to give two cases:

Employed worker: The company must register with the Social Security to be able to enroll the teleworker here in the General Regime.
Self-employed. The worker himself must register in the self-employed workers regime (RETA)

The Social Security registration requirement may only be substituted by importing the right from the country of origin, as long as there is an international agreement on social security signed between Spain and that country and the social security administration of origin issues a document based on said agreement for teleworkers that provides temporary coverage in Spain.

It is important to emphasis that only some of the countries with an agreement issue the certificate of coverage for teleworkers.

5. If the company has a branch in Spain, can I affiliate them to social security through said company or import the right to social security from countries with an agreement based on said transfer?

In this case, they would not be considered teleworkers but workers transferred between companies or ICT (Intra Company Transfer) being governed by said figure and its specific requirements.

6. What other requirements are necessary?

Not be illegally in Spain.

Lack of criminal records in Spain and in the country/s where they have resided for the five years prior to the application (Certificate/s must be provided from the country where they have resided during the two years prior to the application and an affidavit of not having criminal records in the countries of residence of the last five years)

Have public insurance (through Social Security registration) or equivalent private health insurance arranged with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain. Travel insurances are not valid, nor those limited to reimbursement of medical expenses, nor those that present grace periods or co-payments.

Have sufficient financial resources for themselves and their family members during their period of residence in Spain.

7. Can they do other jobs in Spain?

Always from the premise that your work can only be carried out exclusively through computer, telematic and telecommunication means and systems, there are two assumptions:

Labor relationship: In Spain you can only work for the company located outside the national territory for which you perform the teleworking service.

Professional relationship: You can work for a company located in Spain, as long as you maintain the professional relationship with the company with which you are requesting the authorisation and the percentage of said work with the Spanish company/s is a professional relationship (never employment). and does not exceed 20% of their total professional activity

8. What absences outside the national territory can a teleworker accumulate?

They can be absent a maximum of six months per calendar year to continue maintaining the requirements for obtaining the authorisation.

9. Can family members obtain an authorisation/visa?

If, the spouse or person with a similar affective relationship, minor or older children who, economically dependent on the holder, have not constituted a family unit by themselves and dependent ascendants, who meet or accompany foreigners can request, jointly and simultaneously or successively, the authorization and, where appropriate, the visa.

10. Can family members work in Spain?

Yes, the fourth additional provision of Law 14/2013 establishes that residence permits authorise you to reside and work (both self-employed and employed).

11. Should minimum economic resources (livelihoods) be accredited?

Yes, applicants for visas or international telework residence authorisations must prove that they have financial resources for themselves and their family members in accordance with the following amounts:

Holders of visas and residence authorisations: amount that represents 200% of the minimum inter-professional salary (SMI) monthly

Family units that include two people counting the owner person and the regrouped person: at least 75% of the SMI. 25% of the SMI will be required for each additional member to the two people mentioned.

These amounts can be accredited, among others, with the contract, payroll, certificate of the company,